County Limerick is found on the west coast of Ireland, neighbouring with counties Clare, Kerry, Cork and Tipperary. Situated in the Golden Vale and at the mouth of the River Shannon, it has a population of approximately 191,000.
Its chief urban areas include Limerick City, Newcastle West, Rathkeale, Askeaton, Adare, Abbeyfeale, Bruff, Hospital, Kilmallock and Kilfinane. Limerick City is the fourth most populous city in the Republic of Ireland after Dublin, Cork and Galway.
County Limerick experienced substantial emigration to Australia from the 1830s onwards while large scale emigration to the United States of America and Canada commenced in the 1840s. The Great Famine, which caused the death of approximately one million people in Ireland, was less severe in Limerick in that it resulted in more emigration than death. The population of County Limerick dropped by twenty-one per cent during the 1840s and continued to decline until 1900 as a result of continued emigration.
Today Limerick is a thriving city and county, proud of achievements in business, sport and culture and Limerick was Ireland's City of Culture for 2014 and is aiming for European Capital of Culture in 2020.
Things to Do in Limerick
View Larger Map
Limerick Around the World
Limerick Genealogy is working on a project to map places throughout the world with origins in Limerick or with connections to Limerick. If you come from or know of places named after County Limerick or placenames within the county, why not let us know? This online project is an opportunity for you to share your knowledge of and connections to Limerick.
Limerick, County Limerick, Ireland
Township of Limerick, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
Town of Limerick, Maine, U.S.A.
Limerick Township, Ontario, Canada
Limerick Lake, Ontario, Canada
Limerick, Saskatchewan, Canada
Limerick, Kentucky, U.S.A.
Limerick, South Carolina, U.S.A.
Limerick Mississippi, U.S.A.
Abbeyfeale Court, California, U.S.A.
Abbeyfeale Street, Queensland, Australia
Adare Walk, London, United Kingdom
Adare, Queensland, Australia
Adare Road, Queensland, Australia
Askeaton, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Askeaton Park, New Zealand
Askeaton, South Africa
Croom, Maryland, U.S.A.
Croom Street, North Carolina, U.S.A.
Garryowen, Montana, U.S.A.
O'Shaughnessy Boulevard, San Francisco, U.S.A.
O'Shaughnessy Dam, Yosemite National Park, U.S.A.
Rathkeale Road, Ontario, Canada
Shanagolden Town, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
View Larger Map
Tracing Your Limerick Ancestors
by Margaret Franklin, 2nd Edition (2013)
On Sale - €13 plus p&p.
Contact us for your copy.
Renowned People with Limerick Ancestry
- Michael D. Higgins - President of Ireland
- Bill Whelan - Composer of Riverdance
- Rose Fitzgerald - mother of President John F. Kennedy
- Richard Harris - Actor
- Catherine Hayes - Opera Singer
- Frank McCourt - Novelist, who grew up in Limerick and wrote about it in the bestseller Angela's Ashes
- President McMahon - One-time ruler of France
- Suzanne Murphy - Opera Singer
- Kate O'Brien - Author
- Sylvester O'Halloran - Historian and Surgeon
- Commandant Ned Daly - executed on 4th May 1916 in Kilmainham Gaol for his role in the Easter Rising.
- Captain Con Colbert - executed on 8th May 1916 in Kilmainham Gaol for his role in the Easter Rising.
- Dolores O'Riordan - Lead Singer of the Cranberries
- Eamon deValera - former President of Ireland
- Terry Wogan - Broadcaster
- Gerry Flannery - Irish International and Munster rugby player
- Steve Finnan - Irish and Liverpool footballer